Vodka White Russian Recipe
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz Kahlúa or other coffee liqueur
- 1 oz heavy cream or milk
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Add the vodka and coffee liqueur to the glass and stir.
- Pour the heavy cream or milk over the top of the drink.
- Stir gently and serve.
History of the Vodka White Russian
The White Russian cocktail is believed to have originated in the United States during the 1960s or 1970s. The drink is a variation of the classic Black Russian cocktail, which is made with vodka and coffee liqueur. The addition of cream to the recipe is said to have been inspired by the growing popularity of dairy-based cocktails during the mid-20th century.
10 FAQs about the Vodka White Russian
- What type of vodka is typically used in a White Russian? The type of vodka used in a White Russian can vary, but a neutral, unflavored vodka is generally preferred.
- What is the difference between a White Russian and a Black Russian? A White Russian is a variation of the Black Russian cocktail that includes the addition of cream or milk to the recipe.
- Can the heavy cream be substituted with another type of dairy or non-dairy milk? Yes, the heavy cream in a White Russian can be substituted with milk, half-and-half, or a non-dairy milk alternative.
- Is the White Russian typically served with food? The White Russian is often served as a dessert cocktail or after-dinner drink, and can be paired with a variety of sweet or savory foods.
- Can the sweetness of the White Russian be adjusted? Yes, the sweetness of the White Russian can be adjusted by adding more or less coffee liqueur, or by using a different type of flavored syrup.
- Can the White Russian be made in advance? Yes, the White Russian can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- Is the White Russian a popular cocktail outside of the United States? Yes, the White Russian is a popular cocktail in many countries around the world, particularly in Russia and other parts of Eastern Europe.
- Is the White Russian a difficult cocktail to make? No, the White Russian is a simple cocktail to make and requires only a few ingredients and basic mixing skills.
- Is the White Russian a low-calorie cocktail option? The calorie count of a White Russian will depend on the type and amount of vodka used, as well as the amount of cream or milk. However, the drink is generally considered to be a relatively high-calorie cocktail option.
- What are some variations of the classic White Russian recipe? Variations of the classic White Russian recipe include the addition of flavored syrups, such as caramel or hazelnut, or the substitution of the vodka with another spirit, such as rum or whiskey.