Vodka Screwdriver Recipe
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 4 oz orange juice
- Orange slice for garnish
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Add the vodka and orange juice to the glass.
- Stir well.
- Garnish with an orange slice.
History of the Vodka Screwdriver
The origin of the Screwdriver cocktail is unclear, but it is believed to have been popularized by American oil workers in the Middle East during the mid-20th century. The drink is said to have gotten its name from the workers using their screwdrivers to stir the vodka and orange juice together. The Screwdriver quickly became a popular cocktail around the world, and remains a classic cocktail to this day.
10 FAQs about the Vodka Screwdriver
- What is the origin of the name “Screwdriver”? The origin of the name “Screwdriver” is unclear, but it is believed to have been popularized by American oil workers in the Middle East who used their screwdrivers to stir the cocktail.
- What type of vodka is typically used in a Screwdriver? The type of vodka used in a Screwdriver can vary, but a neutral, unflavored vodka is generally preferred.
- Can the orange juice be substituted with another type of juice? Yes, the orange juice in a Screwdriver can be substituted with another type of juice, such as grapefruit or pineapple juice.
- Is the Screwdriver typically served with food? The Screwdriver can be served as a brunch cocktail or as a refreshing drink on its own, and can be paired with a variety of foods depending on the occasion.
- Can the sweetness of the Screwdriver be adjusted? Yes, the sweetness of the Screwdriver can be adjusted by adding more or less orange juice or by using a different type of juice.
- Can the Screwdriver be made in advance? Yes, the Screwdriver can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- Is the Screwdriver a popular cocktail outside of the United States? Yes, the Screwdriver is a popular cocktail in many countries around the world, including Russia, China, and Brazil.
- Is the Screwdriver a difficult cocktail to make? No, the Screwdriver is a simple cocktail to make and can be easily customized to suit individual preferences.
- Is the Screwdriver a low-calorie cocktail option? The calorie count of a Screwdriver will depend on the type and amount of vodka used, as well as the amount of juice. However, the drink is generally considered to be a relatively low-calorie cocktail option.
- What are some variations of the classic Screwdriver recipe? Variations of the classic Screwdriver recipe include the addition of flavored syrups, such as raspberry or peach, or the substitution of the vodka with another spirit, such as tequila or rum.