Vodka Salty Dog Recipe
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 4 oz grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit wedge (optional)
- Rub the rim of a highball glass with a grapefruit wedge.
- Dip the rim of the glass in salt.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Add the vodka and grapefruit juice to the glass.
- Stir well.
- Optional: garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
History of the Vodka Salty Dog
The Salty Dog is a classic cocktail that is believed to have originated in the 1950s. It is a variation of the Greyhound cocktail, which is made with vodka and grapefruit juice. The addition of salt to the rim of the glass is what gives the Salty Dog its unique flavor.
10 FAQs about the Vodka Salty Dog
- Can the grapefruit juice in a Salty Dog be substituted with another fruit juice? No, grapefruit juice is a key ingredient in the Salty Dog and cannot be substituted with another juice.
- What type of salt is used to rim a Salty Dog glass? Coarse salt, such as kosher salt, is typically used to rim a Salty Dog glass.
- Can a Salty Dog be made without vodka? While vodka is the traditional spirit used in a Salty Dog, it can be substituted with gin or tequila for a different flavor.
- Is fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice necessary for a Salty Dog? Fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice is ideal for making a Salty Dog, but canned or bottled grapefruit juice can also be used.
- Can a Salty Dog be made in advance? Yes, a Salty Dog can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- Is the grapefruit wedge in a Salty Dog essential? No, the grapefruit wedge in a Salty Dog is optional, although it can add a nice touch of citrus flavor to the drink.
- Can a Salty Dog be served on the rocks? Yes, a Salty Dog can be served on the rocks, although it is traditionally served over ice in a highball glass.
- Are there variations of the classic Salty Dog recipe? Variations of the classic Salty Dog recipe include the addition of other herbs or spices, such as rosemary or jalapeno, for added flavor.
- Can the saltiness of a Salty Dog be adjusted? Yes, the saltiness of a Salty Dog can be adjusted by adding more or less salt to the rim of the glass.
- Is a Salty Dog a low-calorie cocktail? A Salty Dog is a relatively low-calorie cocktail, as long as it is made with unsweetened grapefruit juice and a low-calorie salt substitute.