Vodka Greyhound Recipe
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 5 oz grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit wedge (optional)
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Add the vodka and grapefruit juice to the glass.
- Stir well.
- Optional: garnish with a grapefruit wedge.
History of the Vodka Greyhound
The Greyhound is a classic cocktail that dates back to the 1930s. The drink was originally made with gin, but vodka has become a popular alternative. The name “Greyhound” is said to have come from the Greyhound Bus Company, which was a popular mode of transportation during the time the drink was created.
10 FAQs about the Vodka Greyhound
- Can the grapefruit juice in a Greyhound be substituted with another fruit juice? Yes, the grapefruit juice in a Greyhound can be substituted with other citrus juices, such as orange or lemon juice.
- Is fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice necessary for a Greyhound? Fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice is ideal for making a Greyhound, but store-bought grapefruit juice can also be used.
- Can a Greyhound be made with ruby red grapefruit juice? Yes, a Greyhound can be made with either white or ruby red grapefruit juice.
- Is the grapefruit wedge in a Greyhound essential? No, the grapefruit wedge in a Greyhound is optional, although it can add a nice burst of citrus flavor to the drink.
- Can a Greyhound be made in advance? Yes, a Greyhound can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- Can a Greyhound be served on the rocks? Yes, a Greyhound can be served on the rocks, although it is traditionally served over ice in a highball glass.
- Are there variations of the classic Greyhound recipe? Variations of the classic Greyhound recipe include the addition of other flavorings, such as rosemary or honey, or the substitution of the grapefruit juice with another fruit juice.
- Can the sweetness of a Greyhound be adjusted? Yes, the sweetness of a Greyhound can be adjusted by adding more or less grapefruit juice or sweetener.
- Is a Greyhound a low-calorie cocktail? A Greyhound is a relatively low-calorie cocktail, as long as it is made with unsweetened grapefruit juice or a low-calorie sweetener.
- Is a Greyhound a popular cocktail outside of the United States? The Greyhound is a popular cocktail in the United States, but it is less well-known in other parts of the world.