Recipe for French Martini:
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz raspberry liqueur
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- Lemon twist, for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add vodka, raspberry liqueur, and pineapple juice to the shaker.
- Shake well until chilled.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with a lemon twist.
History of the drink: The French Martini is a fruity and sweet cocktail that was first created in the 1980s by a bartender named Keith McNally. The drink gained popularity in the 1990s and became a staple in many cocktail bars. While the origin of the name is not clear, some believe that it was given as a nod to the inclusion of raspberry liqueur, which is a popular ingredient in French cuisine.
10 FAQs about the French Martini:
- What type of vodka should I use in a French Martini? You can use any type of vodka you prefer, but a high-quality vodka will enhance the overall taste of the cocktail.
- What is the difference between a regular Martini and a French Martini? The French Martini contains raspberry liqueur and pineapple juice, while a regular Martini typically only contains vodka and vermouth.
- Can I make a non-alcoholic version of the French Martini? Yes, you can substitute the vodka and raspberry liqueur with non-alcoholic alternatives and use pineapple juice as the base.
- What other cocktails can I make with raspberry liqueur? Some popular cocktails that use raspberry liqueur include the Raspberry Margarita and the Bramble.
- Can I use frozen raspberries instead of raspberry liqueur? While frozen raspberries can be used to add flavor, they will not give the same sweetness or consistency as raspberry liqueur.
- Can I use canned pineapple juice instead of fresh pineapple juice? Yes, canned pineapple juice can be used in a French Martini.
- What glass should I serve a French Martini in? A chilled martini glass is the most common choice for serving a French Martini.
- What is the alcohol content of a French Martini? The alcohol content can vary depending on the strength of the vodka and the amount of raspberry liqueur used, but it typically ranges from 15-20% ABV.
- Can I add other fruit juices to a French Martini? While some variations include other fruit juices, such as cranberry or orange juice, the classic French Martini recipe only calls for pineapple juice.
- Should I shake or stir a French Martini? You should shake a French Martini to combine the ingredients and chill the drink.