Vodka Espresso Martini Recipe
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 1 oz freshly brewed espresso
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 1/4 oz coffee liqueur
- Coffee beans, for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the vodka, freshly brewed espresso, simple syrup, and coffee liqueur to the shaker.
- Shake the mixture vigorously for about 10 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with coffee beans.
History of the Vodka Espresso Martini
The vodka Espresso Martini is a modern cocktail that was first created in the 1980s by London bartender Dick Bradsell. Bradsell was approached by a customer who asked for a drink that would “wake her up and f**k her up,” and he came up with the idea of combining vodka, freshly brewed espresso, and a sweetener to create a cocktail with a caffeine kick. The drink quickly gained popularity in the United Kingdom and beyond, and is now a staple of cocktail menus around the world.
10 FAQs about the Vodka Espresso Martini
- Can the vodka in an Espresso Martini be substituted with another spirit? Yes, the vodka in an Espresso Martini can be substituted with rum, tequila, or another clear spirit.
- What type of coffee should be used in an Espresso Martini? An Espresso Martini is typically made with freshly brewed espresso.
- Can instant coffee be used in an Espresso Martini? While freshly brewed espresso is preferred for an Espresso Martini, instant coffee can be used as a substitute if freshly brewed coffee is not available.
- What is coffee liqueur, and how is it made? Coffee liqueur is a sweet liqueur that is flavored with coffee. It is typically made by combining coffee, sugar, and a neutral spirit, such as vodka, and is then aged and bottled.
- Can the sweetness of an Espresso Martini be adjusted? Yes, the sweetness of an Espresso Martini can be adjusted by adding more or less simple syrup or coffee liqueur.
- Is an Espresso Martini a strong cocktail? An Espresso Martini is typically a strong cocktail, as it is primarily made up of vodka and espresso.
- Can an Espresso Martini be made in advance? An Espresso Martini can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- What are some variations of the classic Espresso Martini recipe? Variations of the classic Espresso Martini recipe include the addition of other flavorings, such as chocolate or hazelnut liqueur, or the substitution of the vodka with another spirit, such as rum or tequila.
- Is the Espresso Martini a popular cocktail outside of the United Kingdom? Yes, the Espresso Martini is a popular cocktail around the world, particularly in upscale bars and restaurants.
- Can the coffee beans in an Espresso Martini be substituted? Yes, the coffee beans in an Espresso Martini can be substituted with a sprinkle of cocoa powder or cinnamon for a slightly different flavor profile.