Vodka Cosmopolitan Recipe
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz Cointreau or triple sec
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- Orange or lime peel, for garnish
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add the vodka, Cointreau or triple sec, cranberry juice, and lime juice to the shaker.
- Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with an orange or lime peel.
History of the Vodka Cosmopolitan
The vodka Cosmopolitan is a modern classic cocktail that is believed to have originated in the United States during the 1970s or 1980s. The drink is typically made with vodka, cranberry juice, lime juice, and triple sec, and is served in a martini glass with a citrus garnish. The drink rose to fame in the 1990s thanks in part to its association with the popular television show “Sex and the City.
10 FAQs about the Vodka Cosmopolitan
- Is the Cosmopolitan a sweet or sour cocktail? The Cosmopolitan is a sweet and sour cocktail that is balanced by the acidity of the lime juice and the sweetness of the cranberry juice.
- Can the type of cranberry juice used in a Cosmopolitan be substituted? Yes, the type of cranberry juice used in a Cosmopolitan can be substituted with another type of cranberry juice or cranberry cocktail.
- Can the vodka be substituted with another spirit in a Cosmopolitan? Yes, the vodka in a Cosmopolitan can be substituted with gin, rum, or another type of clear spirit.
- What type of lime juice is best for a Cosmopolitan? Freshly squeezed lime juice is best for a Cosmopolitan, as it provides a bright, fresh flavor to the cocktail.
- Should a Cosmopolitan be shaken or stirred? A Cosmopolitan should be shaken vigorously to ensure that the ingredients are well-mixed and the cocktail is chilled.
- What type of glass is typically used for a Cosmopolitan? A Cosmopolitan is typically served in a martini glass, which is a wide, shallow glass with a stem.
- Is the Cosmopolitan a popular cocktail outside of the United States? Yes, the Cosmopolitan is a popular cocktail around the world, particularly in the United Kingdom, where it is sometimes referred to as a “Cosmo.”
- Can the sweetness of a Cosmopolitan be adjusted? Yes, the sweetness of a Cosmopolitan can be adjusted by adding more or less cranberry juice or by using a different type of flavored syrup.
- Can a Cosmopolitan be made in advance? A Cosmopolitan can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- What are some variations of the classic Cosmopolitan recipe? Variations of the classic Cosmopolitan recipe include the addition of flavored syrups, such as raspberry or pomegranate, or the substitution of the vodka with another spirit, such as gin or rum.