Vodka Blue Hawaiian Recipe
- 2 oz vodka
- 1 oz blue curaçao
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 1 oz cream of coconut
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Pineapple slice and cherry, for garnish
- Fill a blender with ice.
- Add the vodka, blue curaçao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut to the blender.
- Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a tall glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple slice and cherry.
History of the Vodka Blue Hawaiian
The vodka Blue Hawaiian is a tropical cocktail that originated in Hawaii during the mid-20th century. The drink is typically made with vodka, blue curaçao, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut, and is served in a tall glass with a pineapple slice and cherry garnish. The drink gained popularity in the 1950s and 1960s as tiki culture and tropical drinks became more fashionable.
10 FAQs about the Vodka Blue Hawaiian
- Can the vodka in a Blue Hawaiian be substituted with another spirit? Yes, the vodka in a Blue Hawaiian can be substituted with rum or another type of clear spirit.
- What is blue curaçao, and where can it be found? Blue curaçao is a blue-colored, citrus-flavored liqueur that is made from the dried peels of bitter oranges. It can typically be found at liquor stores or online.
- Can the cream of coconut in a Blue Hawaiian be substituted? Yes, the cream of coconut in a Blue Hawaiian can be substituted with coconut milk or coconut cream.
- Can a Blue Hawaiian be made without a blender? Yes, a Blue Hawaiian can be made without a blender by shaking the ingredients with ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Is a Blue Hawaiian a strong cocktail? A Blue Hawaiian is not typically a strong cocktail, as the vodka is typically diluted by the other ingredients.
- What type of glass is typically used for a Blue Hawaiian? A Blue Hawaiian is typically served in a tall glass, such as a hurricane glass or Collins glass.
- Can a Blue Hawaiian be made in advance? A Blue Hawaiian can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- What are some variations of the classic Blue Hawaiian recipe? Variations of the classic Blue Hawaiian recipe include the addition of other fruit juices, such as orange or lime juice, or the substitution of the vodka with another spirit, such as rum or tequila.
- Is the Blue Hawaiian a popular cocktail outside of Hawaii? Yes, the Blue Hawaiian is a popular cocktail around the world, particularly in tropical or tiki-themed bars and restaurants.
- Can the sweetness of a Blue Hawaiian be adjusted? Yes, the sweetness of a Blue Hawaiian can be adjusted by adding more or less cream of coconut or by using a different type of flavored syrup.