Bloody Mary Recipe
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 3 oz tomato juice
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes of hot sauce
- Pinch of celery salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Garnish: celery stalk, lemon wedge, and/or green olives
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add the vodka, tomato juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, celery salt, and black pepper to the shaker.
- Shake well.
- Strain the cocktail into a highball glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a celery stalk, lemon wedge, and/or green olives.
History of the Bloody Mary
The origin of the Bloody Mary is somewhat unclear, with several stories and myths surrounding its creation. One popular theory is that it was invented in the 1920s by bartender Fernand Petiot at the New York Bar in Paris. Another story attributes the creation of the drink to comedian George Jessel in the 1930s. Regardless of its origin, the Bloody Mary quickly became a popular brunch cocktail in the United States and remains a classic cocktail to this day.
10 FAQs about the Bloody Mary
- What is the origin of the name “Bloody Mary”? The name “Bloody Mary” is believed to have originated from Queen Mary I of England, who earned the nickname due to her persecution of Protestants. However, there is no definitive evidence to support this theory.
- What are some variations of the classic Bloody Mary recipe? There are many variations of the classic Bloody Mary recipe, with some popular additions including horseradish, pickles, bacon, shrimp, and even beer.
- Is the Bloody Mary typically served with food? Yes, the Bloody Mary is often served as a brunch cocktail and is frequently accompanied by food such as eggs, bacon, or toast.
- Is the Bloody Mary a healthy drink option? The Bloody Mary is generally considered to be a relatively healthy drink option, as it is made with tomato juice and contains several vitamins and nutrients.
- Can the Bloody Mary be made without alcohol? Yes, a non-alcoholic version of the Bloody Mary can be made by simply omitting the vodka and adding more tomato juice or other mixers.
- What type of vodka is typically used in a Bloody Mary? The type of vodka used in a Bloody Mary can vary, but a neutral, unflavored vodka is generally preferred.
- Can the spiciness of the Bloody Mary be adjusted? Yes, the spiciness of the Bloody Mary can be adjusted by adding more or less hot sauce or other spices.
- Can the Bloody Mary be made in advance? Yes, the Bloody Mary can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
- Is the Bloody Mary a popular cocktail outside of the United States? Yes, the Bloody Mary is a popular cocktail in many countries around the world, including Canada, the United Kingdom, and Russia.
- Is the Bloody Mary a difficult cocktail to make? No, the Bloody Mary is a relatively simple cocktail to make and can be easily customized to suit individual preferences.